Monday, August 26, 2013

juju hats

Via
I've had some extra time on my hands recently and as in other periods of free time, I'm having trouble sitting still. Instead (as in other times) I'm wanting to fix and change everything about our little house. So I've been cleaning, and sorting, and reorganizing - moving drawers and boxes into new drawers and boxes, trying to eek out the tiniest bit of extra breathing room for our overstuffed closets. Along the way I've also been making laundry lists of all the little touches and details that would make everything perfect so I could finally just relax on the couch and watch some daytime television.

Not necessarily at the top of the list is a juju hat. I know, I know, what the hell is a juju hat? Call it a bamileke or a cameroon headdress or just a giant circle of feathers. I love the texture, the color, the global feel of it, and although I would love to pick up one on my travels, I'm not sure if I'll be making it to Cameroon in the immediate future...

The Juju hat is a ceremonial headdress worn during royal court affairs - they are also known as the tyn or bamileke. The feathers represent wealth and prosperity and are woven onto a raffia base that splays open into a giant circle, creating an incredible piece of wall art.

Unfortunately these symbols of prosperity and wealth require some of both to obtain. Coming in between $300-600 each, let's just say I won't be picking up on anytime soon. For those of you in a position to purchase Table Tonic in Australia has a great selection as does African House on Etsy.

Here are some inspirational rooms featuring my new favorite piece of decor.

Via
Natural hued options bring out the texture and depth of the headdresses and look incredible on both dark and colorful walls - while adding to the monochromatic chic of an all white room.

Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
The brightly colored headdresses offer a perfect pop of color on and otherwise blank canvas or a beautiful complement to painted walls. I can't get enough of the reds/pinks/purples in these deep green rooms.
Via
Via
Via
Via
Via
What do you think? Want one? Or is this just another strange decorating fad?