Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Keeping up with the Kardashians

Last night I dedicated two hours to the television wedding "you never saw coming" or I guess, more appropriately "you didn't care about coming." Yes, the Khloe Kardashian wedding ceremony, conceptualized and executed in nine days flat. A wedding in nine days? Think of the opportunities for drama, stress - scrambling over china choices and officiant options. The scramble was lacking. Maybe that's because E Television financed and produced the whole thing, or that Khloe was too busy sucking face to care about pesky wedding details, but I expect more from my wedding shows. 




With such quality programming as Bridezillas, Wedded to Perfection and Say Yes to the Dress out there, the Kardashian wedding was facing an uphill battle to begin with. How can you compete with a show where brides- to-be scream, buy guns, punch cakes and impose weekly weigh-ins for bridesmaids demanding that their big-day weight tips the scales at over 200 lbs? Or what about brides from all over the country flocking to the wedding couture capital, Kleinfeld's with aggressive entourages in tow and budgets bursting. That's entertainment. Just to think of the episodes I've missed prior to being engaged, the tears, the tantrums and the fantastic reassuring feeling of sanity and rationality by comparison.



It doesn't get much better than that, right? Oh, Bridezillas, the best guilty pleasure to come my way since "My Super Sweet 16." 


I'll leave it at that for tonight - who knows, maybe you don't feel the immediate connection to Bridezillas, maybe it isn't your new favorite show.  I understand, not all of us embrace the appeal of cake-smashing and incessant screaming, but just think of what you're missing.


More save the dates tomorrow, I promise.