Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sunday kind of Love

No wedding business today - aside from a few inquiries to caterers that I need to follow up on this week. Glorious day in the district, over 70, sunny and mild. After a week where the rain fell with the leaves and I thought my shoes would never not be soggy again, the sunshine was a welcome surprise. D. and I enjoyed some time out with friends including a trip to take in the MJ epic, "This is It." That and the weekend laundry/cleaning/groceries/homework regime de riguer. I'm gearing up for my term paper due a week from tomorrow, D. is preparing for the actual launch of the web site he has dedicated the last two months + to building.

Rain and leaves from earlier this week

Dinner tonight is definitely worth sharing - lamb chops with tzatziki, pita bread, curried carrots and this delicious chickpea vinaigrette from Tyler Florence. I know it doesn't sound super appealing, canned chickpeas and all, but it was so good, and so easy and the perfect accompaniment to something rich like lamb chops (he also suggests serving it with salmon).

Chickpea Vinaigrette - From Tyler's Ultimate by Tyler Florence
1 can chickpeas - not drained
Juice of one lemon
1/4 c. olive oil
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. paprika
salt & pepper

 Combine all ingredients in bowl and stir - remove roughly one cup of mixture and puree in blender (or mash up in a smaller bowl as we did) Then stir back into the rest to thicken.
So delicious so so easy. I think I could have drank the whole bowl.


Getting excited to start planning our Thanksgiving feast (to be consumed at our beach front house in Duck, NC). What do you have planned? I'm seriously thinking it's time to abandon the turkey. Call it unpatriotic, but I've got no love for that bird. I feel like I've tried the whole host of turkey tricks that Bon Appetit offers on a yearly basis. Their approaches have varied from brining to basting, dry rubs to butter injections. Regardless of the effort ahead of time, the end result is, well, turkey. I'm thinking that roasted sticky chicken might be this season's centerpiece, rounded out with some local seasonal seafood and all the favorite side dishes (because that's what it's really all about).

Tell me what's on your menu....